You know, sometimes, we spend a whole lot of our allowance or savings buying cool gadgets and technology, and guess what? They don’t always work the way we want them to. It’s like buying a new toy and finding out it doesn’t do the cool tricks it’s supposed to do!
So, there’s this thing called Starlink. It’s no different! Sometimes, it can be a little tricky and might not work right. When this happens, you might have to do something called a “factory reset.”
A factory reset is like giving your device a big ol’ do-over. It’s like when you restart a game because things didn’t go the way you wanted. So, doing a factory reset can sometimes help in making our Starlink work correctly again!
Okay, so Starlink has three different kinds of kits: the regular standard rectangular one, the high-performance rectangular one, and the regular circular one. It’s like having three different models of the same toy, but they look different! And guess what, we can do a factory reset on all of them if we need to!
In the next few lines, I’m going to share with you how you can do a factory reset and reboot (that’s like turning it off and on again) on all these different Starlink kits. I’ll also tell you when it might be necessary to do a factory reset.
Resetting Your Starlink Router is Easy!
If your Starlink router is giving you a tough time, don’t worry! Resetting it is super easy and just takes a few steps. It’s like when a game isn’t working, and you turn it off and back on again to fix it.
So, before we start, make sure you are connected to the internet. You can connect with Starlink, some other Wi-Fi, or even cellular data. You’ll also be using the Starlink app on your mobile device for this.
Okay! Now, open your Starlink app, and look for “SETTINGS” (it’s right below “SPEED TEST”). When you tap on it, you’ll see all your router’s settings. Scroll down a bit, and you’ll see “FACTORY RESET.” Yep, that’s the one you need! Swipe the slider that says “SLIDE TO FACTORY RESET” to the right. A little pop-up will ask if you’re sure you want to reset your router. Just tap on “OK” to confirm!
Next, you’ll need to unplug the power cable (that’s the one on the right-hand side) at least 6 times. It might be a bit tough to remove because it has rubber to stay stuck to the router, but just keep plugging it in and unplugging without any break in between, and you’ll be good!
After doing that, go back to your Starlink app. You’ll see you’re disconnected, but don’t worry! Just tap on “CONNECT TO STARLINK WIFI” below the picture of your router and dishy. This will take you to your phone’s Wi-Fi settings. Here, select the “STARLINK” network. If you see an error message, just delete the connection first and then try connecting again.
Once connected, head back to the Starlink app and click on “ROUTER NOT CONFIGURED.” Here you can give your network a new name and a new password. After entering these, hit “SUBMIT.” You’ll see a window displaying your new network name and password. Click on “OPEN SETTINGS” to go back to your phone’s Wi-Fi settings.
From here, connect to your newly named network and enter the password you just created. And voila! You’ve successfully reset your Starlink router to its factory settings!
Keep in mind; the antenna will need about 15 minutes to set itself up properly, so give it some time.
Why Might You Need to Reset Your Router?
So you might be wondering, “Why do I even need to reset my router?” Well, there are a few reasons! Think of it like when your computer starts acting weird, and you restart it to fix the problem.
- Technical Troubles: Sometimes, you might have trouble connecting to the internet, and resetting can help fix any software-related issues that might be causing this.
- Selling Your Kit: If you decide to sell your kit to someone else, resetting is a good idea to make sure the new owner gets it fresh and clean.
- Changing Modes: If you want to turn off the Bypass mode, which lets users turn off the wireless functionality, you’ll need to do a reset.
- Boosting Performance: Some say that resetting can help clear cache and might improve your internet speeds!
- Forgotten Password: If you forget your Wi-Fi password, resetting is your friend as it lets you set up a new one.
How About a Simple Reboot?
If you’re not experiencing any of the above problems, you might just need to reboot your system. This is like turning off your TV and turning it back on! You can do this either through the app or manually.
Option 1: Using the App
- Open your Starlink app and go to “SETTINGS.”
- If you want to reboot the router, slide the “REBOOT ROUTER” slider to the right. Wait about a minute, then go back to your settings and click on your Wi-Fi network to reconnect to the internet.
- To reboot your antenna, click on the “STARLINK” option and slide the button to the right. Wait about a minute, then let dishy calibrate for around 15 minutes for everything to stabilize.
Option 2: Unplugging the Cable
- Simply go to your router and unplug the power cable. Wait a few minutes and plug it back in.
- Your dish and router will reboot. Your dishy might even move to reconnect to the satellite above!
- You could also unplug the cable from your antenna, but be careful as it might not plug back in perfectly every time and can get loose.
So, whether you need to reset because you’re having some issues or you just want to give your system a fresh start, or you just need a simple reboot, it’s all pretty straightforward and quick!